Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Vinegar and Blood Sugar Control

I was reading the message boards over at SoulCysters.Com and someone mentioned that they were using vinegar to control their blood sugar. I haven't had the time to research it online but I sure plan to.

Oddly enough though, when I was really on a roll with the weight loss and the weight was just peeling off I was taking Taurine and Apple Cider Vinegar Capsules with Grapefruit rind and Cayenne. Earlier today I was reading a website that had a product for diabetics that was all-natural and it contained Cayenne as just one of its' ingredients. Taurine is a supplement that I read about on Pam Ptyza's PCOS page (see link on the left over there) it's one of the main ingredients in Sugar-Free Red Bull.

Could it be that there are natural and organic remedies in our kitchens that can help regulate blood sugar and reduce if not completely eliminate insulin resistence?

I've already seen where vitamins and progesterone cream have begun to regulate my cycles and reduce other symptoms of PCOS as well.

Lately, I've been poking around the Net more in search of more information on current PCOS treatments. It's both disheartening and sort of refreshing to see that while more and more sources are siting Insulin Resistence as the root cause of PCOS most of the treatments that are recommended are a lot of the things I am already doing. (vitamins, diet changes, exercise, natural supplements)

Sure, there is always glucophage or metaformin (diabetic medications that have been used with success with PCOS patients) but I'm not fond of putting more chemicals into my body than I already am. Still, it's certainly an advancement compared to the old stand-by of "got PCOS? Don't want to get pregnant? Great... here are some birth control pills, now go away."

And, birth control pills are only a band-aid. Without significant diet and lifestyle changes the PCOS symptoms can return... only WORSE.

So, on one hand I'm pleased that I know the right things to do and can do them without killing myself. On the otherhand, I'm disappointed that there isn't some magic pill to make it all go away.

Don't get me wrong... I miss sugar, I miss bread and I'm not giving up caffeine or the occasional adult beverage.

Moderation... find a happy medium and just keep trying, I guess.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That is really Cool!