Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Raves and Rants...

Over the past week or so, I've noticed that my husband is now getting pretty serious about getting down to his goal weight too. A few years ago he lost about 50 pounds and has managed to keep it off. But, he still wants to lose another 20. I guess I've inspired him a bit.

If the truth were to be told, we have dieted many times together in the past. We did the Weight Watchers point system. Neither one of us lost anything, for my part, I realize now that IR had a lot to do with that.

When we tried Atkins he lost and so did I for a while. The thing with my husband is that he created a lot of good habits with Atkins that he stuck with, so he kept the 50 off, but he didn't stay strict with it, so he maintained but didn't lose anymore. I, on the other hand, ended up getting pregnant with our third child and before I knew I was pregnant, began getting frustrated because I wasn't losing weight (had dropped almost 20 pounds), my husband got frustrated with me because he felt I was sabotaging myself. I had begun craving carbs and sweets non-stop and nearly uncontrollably. Then we found out that I was pregnant.

Anyway, this time, I've stuck with it for a month, I've lost 13 pounds and I think that has inspired him a bit. It's nice to feel like I'm encouraging someone else for a change.

My mom is really starting to peel the weight off as well. She's already dropped a size. She was smaller than I was to begin with - but she is dealing with a lot of stress, plus she is post-hysterectomy and has a problem with IR as well. She's following the diet information from the Suzanne Sommers (sp.) book - "The Sexy Years." It's amazing how much hormones DO affect our ability to lose and gain weight.

I was listening to Dr. Laura the other day... mainly because sometimes I enjoy screaming at her while I am driving. She made some absolutely STUPID comment about people using hormones as an excuse to be fat... she stated (as proof of her point) that when people were put into concentration camps they came out skinny. Well, DUH, dipstick, if you STARVE anyone LONG enough they will LOSE weight. So I suppose that people who are overweight should just be locked up and starved? Does Dr. Laura think those people came out of the concentration camps HEALTHIER too???? For someone who is supposedly "educated" it amazes me what stupid things will come out of this woman's mouth.

There is my complaint for the day... I'll step off my soapbox now. ;o)









No comments: