Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Low-Carb Coleslaw Recipe

I hopped on the scale this morning...

Ok, let's be honest, I didn't HOP... because that might throw it all out of whack and then it might say something I wouldn't like. ;o)

I was thrilled this morning! Down another pound. Of course, I was at the mall for several hours yesterday walking from one end to the other... I think that counts as exercise. At least it did for me, so I didn't do one of my workouts yesterday.

I have a confession to make as well. I am completely addicted to the Bleu Ribbon Burger at Red Robin. I started ordering it with a salad instead of fries. And, just to curb my cravings a bit, I do take a couple of bites WITH the bun on... then I take the bun off and eat the rest of it.

My husband made his "Mondo Burgers" the other night. He barbecued them and added two kinds of cheese on top (cheddar and provolone). He also made them 1/2 pound in hopes I wouldn't miss the bun. ;o) I topped mine with bleu cheese dressing, steak sauce, hot sauce, bacon and bleu cheese crumbles. It was really good! Sort of my home-style version of the Bleu Ribbon Burger at Red Robin.

We're making big pitchers of iced green tea all day long now. I've read that green tea can help increase your metabolism, we've always kept it around because it is so high in antioxidants.

The entire household is beginning to decrease their sugar intake... which is great for the kids. We don't buy sodas anymore and instead opt to make our own "Italian Sodas" with mineral water or club soda and sugar-free Torani syrups. This way there is no sugar OR caffeine.

I've started making coleslaw with Splenda and it works REALLY well.

Recipe:

  • 1/2 cup mayonaise
  • 1-2 tbs. white vinegar
  • Splenda to taste
  • 1/2 head of red cabbage
  • 1/2 head of white cabbage
Chop cabbage to desired consistency, toss with dressing and chill.

Options:

  • Chipotle (chop it up and mix it in with dressing) to taste, makes a tasty cajun style coleslaw.
  • Package of broccoli-slaw (looks just like packaged coleslaw mix just more green and better for you too!)
  • You can also use the packaged coleslaw mix - just remember that they have carrots and typically these are a no-no on low-carb.





No comments: