Tuesday, June 28, 2005

My PCOS Update

The GAD and panic attacks seem to have subsided. The 10mg of Lexapro is leveling things out nicely. I don't know what I would have done without it. I was fairly certain that I was losing my mind there for a while. It also amazes me that this is another symptom that is attributed to PCOS. The majority of women with PCOS also have some form of anxiety, depression or both.

It's been about 5 months since I've had a normal cycle. I know I have too much testosterone or androgen hormone. I started taking a natural estrogen supplement and using progesterone cream. It's only been a couple of weeks, but I do feel more mellow, in a good way.

I found a website online that deals with women with PCOS it's very informative and they have a treatment with herbs, vitamins, diet, etc. that is supposed to relieve if not completely obliterate all the symptoms. I was impressed because it was an OB/GYN (female) that had a hand in developing this treatment. The problem is that it's nearly $200 for a 60 day supply. They have gotten good results (according to testmonials on the website), but to me, that price is kind of ridiculous for vitamins. I don't know... I may change my mind and try it out eventually... but for now, I'll do my own thing and see what happens.

After listening to the crap Tom Cruise has been spewing into any camera that will focus on him, I've decided - he's an idiot. The guy can barely put a sentence together and when he manages to - he continues to repeat it because it's obviously the only one in his aresenal at the time. How many times did he tell Matt Lauer that he had "researched the history of psychiatry?" Several. For him to say there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance... is lunacy... apparently he's never dealt with it personally.

It has taken so long for women to get PCOS recognized by their doctors and there have been generations of women who have suffered needlessly. Unfortunately, we still have a LONG way to go. Two of the (male) doctors I went to didn't even recognize the symptoms, worse yet, the one who diagnosed me with PCOS acted as if it were nothing.

One thing I find strange is that I can go for weeks without craving carbs, sugar, alcohol, etc. But every once in a while, I will have a day (like yesterday) when I absolutely cannot resist or stop it. It's a little frustrating because I naturally want to beat myself up for "blowing my diet" and then I have to stop and remind myself that I am not on a diet, I'm making lifestyle changes because I am insulin resistent.

Good grief.

No comments: