Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Cutting and Grilling - No Steak Involved

I was having my hair done the other day (a very short cut that I love!) and the lady who does my hair kept grilling me on what I had done to lose so much weight (and to think, I've still got another 20 pounds, minimum, to go!). I explained to her that I was doing a low-carb thing and exercising.

I don't remember how it came up, but she started mentioning fluctuating Seratonin levels. I think this was in reference to chocolate or sugar or something. I explained that I didn't have to worry too much about that because I'm on medication to balance that out - the seratonin, that is. (sugar cravings and chocolate cravings are a whole other ball game) I told her that I had been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and depression. She said, "Doesn't everybody have that? I mean, all young mothers have that."

Now, here is what I have come to realize; people do not understand what GAD with Depression really is. Having severe panic attacks where you can't function and have chest pains so bad that you think you are having a heart attack - is not normal. Worrying to the point of not being able to function and not being able to control it - is not normal. And, yes, I absolutely believe that a good deal of this issue can be blamed on postpartum depression aka "hormonal imbalance" as well. Again, I don't have professional medical training on this... but I do know my own body and know this is the case with me.

No comments: